About the role: Advisers are at the heart of delivering the Citizens Advice
service. Our Advisers help our clients with a range of problems including
benefits, debt and employment…
You don’t need specific qualifications or experience, advisers receive full training and always have a supervisor available.
As an Adviser you could be:
● exploring and identifying the clients’ problems
● researching information using Citizens Advice resources and explaining options to clients and helping them make informed decisions about how to deal with their problems
● acting on behalf of the client, negotiating, drafting or writing letters
● making phone calls or appropriate referrals.
Our volunteers come from a range of backgrounds and we particularly welcome LGBT+ and non-binary people, and people from Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities. We particularly welcome applications from disabled people including people with physical or mental health conditions. Talk to us at any stage of the recruitment process about what support or equipment would enable you to volunteer with us.
We pay for your travel expenses and the role can take place either remotely (from your own home) or within our office at Wellington House, Barnsley, S70 1WA. (We will be adhering to all Government guidelines regarding Covid-19)
About Citizens Advice Barnsley: We help people resolve their problems such as benefits, debt and employment, by giving them the information and advice they need. Good quality information and advice can make a huge difference to people’s lives, including reducing stress and improving their finances. Our service is free, independent, confidential and impartial. We value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination.
What are Citizens Advice Barnsley looking for?: No prior experience is
necessary for this role as full training will be given but you should be:
● open minded and non judgmental
● enjoy helping people
● good at listening
● be familiar with searching the internet and have basic IT skills
You will need to be available for 1 day per week or two half days between Mon -Fri 9am - 4.30pm for this role.