Volunteer role: Garden volunteer
Volunteer supervisor: Facilities supervisor
About the hospice:
Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice offers care for children and young people in South Yorkshire, North Nottinghamshire, North Lincolnshire and North Derbyshire. Our highly specialised care team look after children and young people with a vast range of complex medical needs. We provide support, respite, 24 hour urgent response and end of life treatment and care. Sibling support is also at the heart of our work, as well as counselling and bereavement services, hospice at home and befriending.
About this role:
We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated individuals to help maintain the 6.5 acres of grounds at Bluebell Wood. This is a rewarding opportunity which allows you to contribute to providing a pleasant peaceful haven for our families to visit and enjoy.
Below are outlined a range of roles. We require you to assist with some or all of the following:
• General maintenance of the garden, weeding etc.
• Planting and watering
• Assisting with garden projects
• Maintaining garden furniture
• Painting fences and garden furniture
Recruitment process: The process involves: volunteer application form, informal chat, Standard level DBS, 2 references, e-learning.
From 1st April 2022, volunteers for this role must be double vaccinated against Covid-19.
The process involves: volunteer application form, informal chat, Standard level DBS, 2 references, e-learning.
What we are looking for:
Volunteers who are
• Volunteers who have a few hours to spare each week
• Gardening experience
• Willing to be part of a team
• Good communication skills as you will meet our families as they use the garden spaces
• Respectful of families, staff, fellow volunteers and visitors
• Suitable, sturdy footwear and appropriate clothing for this outdoors role (weather dependent)
What we offer:
• Training, where appropriate
• The opportunity to develop new and existing skills
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of an enthusiastic team
• Free parking at the hospice
• Free meal if volunteering over lunchtime
• Expenses agreed in advance with the supervisor
Bluebell Wood volunteers are asked to:
• Be a minimum of 16 years of age
• Complete e-learning training for the role
• Have a current Standard level Disclosure & Barring check (DBS) generated by the hospice
• Attend induction and any routine training
• Abide by the Health & Safety at Work Act
• Adhere to the charity policies and procedures including the no smoking, alcohol and substance misuse policy
• Co-operate and liaise with colleagues
• Act in a professional manner at all times
• Be polite and respectful to everyone you meet whilst volunteering in this role
• Act as an Ambassador for the Bluebell Wood Charity
Please be aware that if you do not have your own transport, or live locally, the hospice is very difficult to get to by public transport. If in doubt, please check buses etc to see if it is feasible for you to volunteer here. We are over one mile from the nearest bus stop.