Bluebell Wood is committed to safe volunteer recruitment practices.
Volunteer role: Events & Fundraising Volunteer
Volunteer supervisor: Events Co-ordinator
About the hospice:
Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice offers care for children and young people in South Yorkshire, North Nottinghamshire, North Lincolnshire and North Derbyshire. Our highly specialised care team look after children and young people with a vast range of complex medical needs. We provide support, respite, 24 hour urgent response and end of life treatment and care. Sibling support is also at the heart of our work, as well as counselling and bereavement services, hospice at home and befriending.
About this role:
We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic individuals to support with the running of our events. This is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to meet new people and contribute to raising vital funds for the hospice.
Below are outlined a range of roles. You might be interested in helping with some of these areas:
• Setting up and taking down gazebos
• Unloading and loading event vehicles
• Setting up event equipment – flags, banners, signage, tables
• Other reactive event duties, e.g., emptying bins, replenishing stock – also described as a runner, working very closely with Event Manager.
• Marshalling a point on an event route - using a radio, reporting first aid requests, providing general direction, encouragement
• Bag drops
• Directional/instruction marshals – ‘sign in this way’, ‘have you filled out your form?’
• Supporting road crossings
• Meet and greet marshals.
• Working with a team to park cars efficiently and safely at events
• Follow instructions of car parking manager/event manager/site manager
• Taking car parking fee if applicable.
• Operating a water/refreshment station at events to hand out drinks to participants
• Operating a catering/refreshment stand to the public/participants (involves cash handling)
• Following instruction and guidance on hygiene and safety
Stalls and Games:
• Organising games and activities for children and families at events
• Setting up games equipment or stations and operating these throughout event day (involves cash handling)
• Assist in running other stalls –
o Selling crafts or merchandise
o Information stands
o Registration stands – signing event participants in and out
o Signing members of the public and event participants up to other events and campaigns
o Handing out event materials (e.g., medals, wristbands etc.)
• Represent Bluebell Wood at organised bucket collections
• Bucket collect/hand out programmes at Events
• Supermarket bag packing
Promotion and Awareness:
• Leaflet drops – residential
• Leaflet/Poster/Banner distribution
• Attending other events to promote Bluebell Wood activity or raise awareness
• Attend cheque presentations on behalf of Bluebell Wood
• Deliver short talks and act as a Bluebell Wood representative when invited to do so.
Recruitment process: To find out more and register your interest in any of these roles, please fill in the form below, send us an email, or call 01909 517 360.
To find out more and register your interest in any of these roles, please fill in the form below, send us an email, or call 01909 517 360.
Please note: For volunteers aged 16-17 years old:
• In line with the Code of Fundraising Practice, you will not be solely responsible for handling cash, as part of your volunteering role.
• If volunteering as a marshal, you will only be asked to do so in pedestrianised areas involving no traffic management.
What we are looking for:
Volunteers who are
• Availability: variable; some events we need support for a few hours, some for a full day; dependent on how much time you have
• Willing to be part of a team
• Respectful of members of the public, staff and fellow volunteers
What we offer:
• Training, where appropriate
• The opportunity to develop new and existing skills
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of an enthusiastic team
Bluebell Wood volunteers are asked to:
• Be a minimum of 16 years of age
• Attend an induction and any routine training
• Adhere to the charity’s policies and procedures including the no smoking, alcohol and substance misuse policy and Health & Safety at Work Act
• Be polite and respectful to everyone you meet whilst volunteering in this role
• Co-operate and liaise with the team
• Act in a professional manner at all times
• Act as an ambassador for the Bluebell Wood charity