Purpose of role:
To volunteer regularly to support older people in our friendly day centre, which provides socialisation and encourages independence.
• Greeting and accompanying members on arrival and when leaving the centre
• Help with coats and being seated
• Help with organised activities and games, encouraging and supporting members to participate
• Listening to and talking with service users, helping to promote a spirit of friendship within day care
• Encouraging social interaction, especially for those who are new to the centre or who find it difficult to join in
• Assist in the preparation of hot drinks and a snack
• Assist with the serving of lunch
• Complete other assigned tasks as agreed with the centre manager
Days required: Mon AM, Mon PM
Recruitment process: We always welcome new volunteers and value the contributions that our volunteers make to the work we do for the elderly people of Barnsley.
We do have a procedure for the recruitment of volunteers, this includes the completion of a short application form followed by an informal chat with the Volunteer Coordinator or the Daycare Manager.
We always welcome new volunteers and value the contributions that our volunteers make to the work we do for the elderly people of Barnsley.
• Friendly and adaptable
• Able to communicate clearly and effectively
• Empathy, patience and good listening skills
• Enjoyment of the company of older people
• Willing to work with a diverse group of older people
• To comply with all health & safety requirements and organisational standards
• To undertake any training considered essential and/or beneficial to the post
• Report problems and concerns to the day centre manager
• Commitment to the policies of Age UK Barnsley, particularly those relating to Equal Opportunities and Confidentiality
• A Disclosure & Barring Check may be required prior to undertaking this role.
Hours of Volunteering: 9.00am – 2.30pm